I set out recently to find a shared iOS shopping list App to replace my family’s paper grocery shopping list. I had some pretty simple requirements:
- Easy-to-use sharing between family members using different iCloud accounts
- Ability to review the list in the store and mark items off
- Ability to review and revive completed items (We’ve got milk this time, but we’ll need it again soon)
I spent some time in the App store looking at reviews and didn’t see anything I wanted to buy. Some otherwise useful apps had a bad reputation for crashing. Others were just too complex. Some needed a subscription and a sign-on for sharing to work. It’s just creepy that the vendor would be watching everything on your shopping list.
Eventually I found it. An app that was already on my phone that met all my requirements and didn’t need any additional sign-ups, plus you can use Siri to add items to the list by voice.
The app is:� Reminders — the humble Apple Reminders app that comes with iOS.
Here’s an overview from iMore on how to set Reminders up for sharing.
A couple of tips:
- You can have more than one list.
- Remember the name of your lists: “Shopping List” and “Grocery List” aren’t the same to Siri.
- When you invite someone to share your list, they may have to sign on to iCloud on the web the first time to accept the invitation, but after that it can be strictly iPhone-to-iPhone.
- Everyone invited has equal ability to add, delete and edit items on the list.
- Tap at the bottom of the reminders App screen to see your other reminder lists.